Scars are the marks left behind in the skin after the wounds or injuries have been treated. Scars are the results of injuries, surgeries, wounds to replace the damaged skin. Scar can also be caused by acne, high exposure to sun, chickenpox and hormonal imbalance. Scar tissues are made of collagen and might be of any shape or size. Some scars can heal in their own while some scars won’t go away from skin unless some treatments are done to remove the scars.
Types of scars:
- Normal fine-line scars: Simple minor wounds leave a line after the wound is healed which will gradually fade away with time.
- Keloid scars: The scar that grow at the site of wound which are thick and rounded with irregular clusters.
- Hypertrophic scars: The thick raised scar that is formed as an abnormal response to wound healing in which extra connective tissue forms.
- Adhesion scar: The scar that joins two internal surfaces which are not usually connected. As the body tends to repair itself, adhesion scars develop.
Causes of scars:
- Insect bite
- High exposure to sunlight
- Hormonal imbalance
Some scars are highly visible while some scars are less visible depending upon the skin tone and the size and color of the scars. The appearance of the scars depends upon various factors like:
- Cause of scars i.e. either burn or acnes or surgeries
- Skin tone
- Age and the time of the scar in the skin
- Size and color of the scar
- Treatment that causes the scar like stitches or surgeries
- Gene and ethnicity
- Location of the scar in the skin
Scar removal is the process of reducing the visibility of the scars in the skin either by surgical or non-surgical procedures. The scar removal procedures include topical application of cream, gels or lotions for reducing the visibility of the scars and also it can be done by laser therapy followed by skin grafting, surgery and scar revision therapy. For the permanent removal of scar from the skin, surgery and grafting are the best options. Using the laser therapy, the light beams lightens, tightens and fade away the scars. Sometimes, depending upon the depth of the scars, the removal of scars is done by removing the topmost layer of the skin surgically. Micro-needling is also done for the removal of the scars.
Non-surgical scar removal: It includes the topical application of vitamin C serum, gels, lotions, creams for making the scars less noticeable. It is pain-free procedure.
Surgical scar removal: It might be painful somehow but the use of anesthesia makes it easier and less painful. During the scar removal procedure, it is not painful.
Laser scar removal: It is the most effective treatment for the scar removal that uses intense light to reduce the size, shape and color of the scars by the certified dermatologists.
Chemical peels: It is the best option for the scars removal that are in the surface-level. This procedure uses a chemical solution in the skin and peels off the skin with scar and shows the soft and smooth skin.
Dermabrasion: It is the procedure in which the dermatologists use a machine to smoothen the topmost layer of the skin. It helps in smoothing the old and matured scar.
Injections: In the deep scars, steroid injections are used that can minimize or shrink the scars and make the skin tone even. Dermal fillers or collagen can also be used in this process for reducing the scars.
Ointments: Over the discussion with dermatologists, scar removal creams and ointments or gels can be used for minor scars.
The healing process after the surgical scar removal by laser treatments and scar revision treatment usually takes 3-4 weeks. Once you get certification of being fit after surgery by your doctor, you can take the airways too.
Things to care after scar removal surgery:
- Patient should not smoke or drink alcohol.
- Patient should have balanced diet meal with plenty of raw vegetables and fruits.
- They should take prescribed medications in time.
- They should apply the topically medications properly I time.
- They should not lift heavy objects or do more exercise after undergoing the scar removal surgery.
- Daily dressing of the wounds is a must.
- Patient should avoid rubbing around the wounds.
Possible risks and complications of the scar removal surgery:
- Unsatisfactory results
- Slow healing of the wound
- Revision surgery
Things to remember before undergoing scar removal surgery:
The scars usually get matured after three months. Fresh scars should not be removed surgically but when it gets matured and you get consent from the doctor, you can undergo the surgical procedure. The treatment should be done by the well trained doctor.
Cost of scar removal therapy in Nepal:
Price of scar removal therapy in Nepal ranges from Rs.3000-Rs.45000 depending upon the scars.